Top Ten Tuesday is hosted each week by The Broke and the Bookish! This week’s theme is ten things that will make me not want to read a book. This is my first time participating in a Top Ten Tuesday, and I’m so excited about it! I love reading these posts every week. With that, let’s get into it.
- Instant love. 99.9 % of the time if the main character meets their love interest and falls for them immediately, I get turned off. I’m all for hopeless romance and a good cliche, but I prefer a slow-burning flame that makes me root for a couple to get together through the book.
- Middle grade/children’s books. I’m not saying the books I fell in love with as a kid aren’t good anymore, but I will never reach for them again unless I’m reading to a child. I like YA and above.
- Historical fiction. Maybe I just haven’t found the right book, but this genre bores me.
- Faes. I never reach for a book if it has a fae based plot. I’m not really into faeries in TV shows, either.
- Bad book covers.Okay, I know they say not to judge a book by and cover, and I agree with that statement because I do own a lot of amazing books with horrible covers. The difference is that I’ve heard amazing things about them, or the book was by an author I know and love. But if I spot a book with a bad cover at the bookstore and it’s a book I haven’t heard much about, I won’t buy it.
- Bad ratings and reviews.. These days, I try not to look at reviews before purchasing a book because I prefer to go into a book with no expectations. Although, if I’m curious about a book and I go on Goodreads to add it to my TBR shelf and it has less than 3 stars, I’m instantly turned off.
- Annoying main characters. Ughhhh. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. If a main character is completely annoying and immature and there’s absolutely no character development, I have a hard time continuing the book.
- Books that are too descriptive. I love a good page-turner. I like when there’s something exciting and/or interesting happening in every chapter, but when I’m reading a novel and there are pages upon pages of sentences explaining details about a room, a person, or the weather, and it’s just a bunch of random things that doesn’t really add much to the story, I’m not a fan.
Those are all of the qualities I can think of right now! I had fun participating in my first Top Ten Tuesday and I definitely plan on doing these more often!